FELIPE BORRERO "EL TIBURON"
Growing up in the New York City area Felipe Borrero was accustomed to hearing Jazz music from the radio stations as well as the Salsa music from his Puerto Rican neighborhood. As a young boy, he used to go to watch the holiday parades in New York City and was drawn to the Trumpets and Trombones proclaiming their presence, hearing them echo off the walls of the buildings. He thought then what a powerful sound and declaration of holidays and celebration.
These three men have all since passed away but he will never forget their impact. After over 40 years of playing the trumpet, trombone and flugelhorn, he has been very blessed to have been involved in Salsa, Merengue, Blues, Country Swing, Top 40, Jazz, Latin Jazz and Tejano bands throughout his career.
Felipe has performed with such notables as Ruben Ramos, Alfonso Ramos, Little Joe, Augustine Ramirez, Joe Bravo, W.C. Clark, Luis Shati, Alex Castro, Luisito Rosario, Gabe Nieto, Stephanie Urbina Jones and Sam Irwin. Also shared the stage with such notables as guitar legend Carlos Santana, Los Van Van, Cubanisimo, Trombone Shorty and Dirty Dozen Brass Band. There are many many more but not enough space to list them all.
Currently working with; The Brew, Kiko y La Banda, Rey Arteaga w/Son y No Son, and Mambo Blue.
Founded manages and performs with: "Big Band Tejano", "Trio 2 to 1", "Salsa Amistad", "Trio4mas" and "Tiburon".Highlights:
- For the 4th year in a row in Oct 2014, Tiburon Latin Jazz performed at the Corpus Christi Jazz Festival prime time 7:30PM to 9:00PM to an awesomely appreciative audience.
- Invited to perform with Cowboy Manuel Donley at the Library of Congress in Washington D.C. Sept 2014 who is an NEA recipient at the National Endowment Awards. It was a humbling experience to be recognized at this special event at our nations capital.
- Nominated for Latin Grammy in 2013 after providing brass section recording for Johnny Hernandez on his Adventurero CD release.
- Honored and awarded entry into 2012 Idolos del Barrio Music
- Recipient Latin Grammy in 2008 with Ruben Ramos.
- Nominated for Latin Grammy in 2003 with Ruben Ramos.
- Currently over 100 recordings to his credit playing trumpet, trombone, flugelhorn, hand percussion and background vocals.